Aligos Therapeutics, Inc. is a biotechnology company located in South San Francisco, California that is developing novel medicines to treat liver diseases in virology, inflammation/fibrosis and oncology. Aligos is pursuing the development of both oligonucleotide-based and small molecule therapeutics, each addressing major commercial market opportunities.
At Aligos, our science is the key to our success, and to improving patients’ quality of life. Our pipeline of developing novel compounds and investigative therapies reflects our commitment to bring innovative products to patients with unmet needs in the area of liver diseases.
This is a ground floor opportunity to become an early employee of an exciting and high energy pre-IPO Research and Development company. We are looking for an enthusiastic person who understands and appreciates the entrepreneurial environment of a “start-up” and who is willing to do what it takes to contribute to the success of the company.
The Senior Director, Early Development, will provide leadership and oversight for one or more preclinical and/or early development programs. The position holder will work closely together with colleagues in CMC, Research and Development to identify and implement preclinical strategies that will enable programs to advance into clinical development. The successful candidate will be an accomplished leader with a successful track record of developing antiviral drugs with experience of working with compounds from discovery through proof of concept.
The position will report to the Head of Clinical Development and will be split approximately 50/50 between Belgium and South San Francisco.
- Lead, oversee and contribute to the development of pre-clinical development plans that will support the advancement of compounds into the clinic.
- Provide technical expertise, in terms of problem solving for complex technical problems using advanced knowledge and experience.
- Contribute to the development of budgets and resource forecasts for all relevant pre-clinical and clinical development activities.
- Provide matrix management of personnel under his/her area of responsibility to ensure high quality execution all planned activities, thereby ensuring adherence to timelines and budgets.
- Provide oversight of outsourced activities to ensure the generation of high quality data that are delivered on time and within budget.
- Ensure programs are tracked and communicated in a consistent and effective manner.
- Interact with company’s Senior Leadership Team to ensure that plans are aligned with the company’s goals and within anticipated budgets.
- Ensure smooth transition of compound(s) from preclinical into early development.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Highly organized with strong leadership skills – capable of leading in a small, fast-moving organization
- Able to build and maintain good relationships with internal staff, external agencies and opinion leaders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 10+ years of industry experience in a relevant therapeutic area
- PhD preferred
- Experience in preclinical and early phase clinical drug development
- Experience in working with regulatory agencies preferred
- Experience of working in close collaboration with other companies required
- Experience in developing compounds in China required
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with highly functional teams
- Experience developing antiviral compounds in a small biotech company environment strongly preferred
- History of developing novel medicines, including both oligonucleotide-based and small molecule therapeutics, to treat liver diseases in virology, inflammation/fibrosis and oncology